What is rental car insurance excess cover?


What you need to know.

The vehicle must be rented from a licensed motor vehicle rental company. We only cover hire cars that are sedans, hatchbacks, station wagons or four-wheel drives. The other vehicle types we cover are “people mover” vans, campervans and motorhomes that weigh less than 4.5 tonnes.

What you need to do to claim.

  1. Keep a copy of the rental vehicle agreement.
  2. Keep a copy of the repair account and/or quote.
  3. Provide scanned copies of the above (#1 & #2) when you claim.

You won’t be covered if:

  • You use the vehicle against the terms of the rental agreement.
  • You break the law of the place you are in.
  • The rental vehicle is driven or used by someone who is not named as a designated driver on the rental agreement.
  • The driver is not named on your certificate of insurance.
  • If the person that was driving the vehicle at the time of the accident did not hold a valid drivers licence to operate the rental vehicle in that country.